Sunday, November 19, 2006

No Sleep and Rory Motion in one weekend?

Wot a weekend, I am utterly pooped. A roller coaster ride of pop-stardom followed by major wining and dining in top-notch style.

O.k, so (1), we had a gig near Sheffield and (2), it was my brothers 50th birthday meal. I still felt like my cup runneth over. (We once had a dog that got runneth over).

Recipe for No Sleep 'til Bedtime:
Take 6 girlies (I know some who would in an instant…), a whole dollop of voice flavourings including angelica, chocolate, honey and treacle, stir in a bucketful of harmonies, put up with a smattering of backchat, line carefully with varied experiences of love gone right (and love gone wrong), give it fifteen years to mature and top off with common sense, wise words, hugs and the odd splooter, and there you have it - the perfect acappella band. (That’s us, by the way - I might be a touch biased, but then, this is my blog).


This recipe went down very well at the Rockingham Arms in Wentworth. A fine folk venue, and I like to think we knocked their little socks off, although we nearly knocked our own off by being somewhat shouty at times. I’m afraid there was only one obvious answer to the song “Can you hear me?”.

However, shouting aside, we rose to the occasion and although we’re not traditionally folky (or even traditional folk) in any sense, they were very kind and appreciative of us. I hope the childrens' charity got some well-deserved spondoolies out of it. Watch this space for future events (I will put the band website address on here – when I remember what it is!!!).


Moving swiftly on, without a segue to be found, the next evening we girded loins once more to help my brother Andy to celebrate his 50th birthday. I’d like to point something out at this juncture – that you may know him by his alternative persona Rory Motion, poet, comedian, artist and tree impersonator (it’s a long story….).

In fact, Andy has been Rory for so long now I occasionally find myself calling him Rory instead. God only knows the effect that this split personality has had on him. Therapy has only been narrowly missed due to the fact that both personalities are very similar and fortunately he’s never really gone in for comedy involving cross-dressing or shaking wads of money. Actually, he’s never really had a wad of money to shake anyway, but I digress…. where was I?

Oh yes, Andy, 50. Well done mate. It was a grand evening and the family chefs did you (and us) proud. I particularly enjoyed yours and Matthews re-take of the photo from when you were about 4 and 6 years old. (Those of you with a weak constitution, look away now….).
I also favour the story of dressing up a dummy in your school uniform and throwing it out of the upstairs window, to plummet past the window underneath where mum sat watching telly. Quite a novel way to test the strength of your mothers' heartstrings.


However, the matriarch must have forgiven you because she was there too, to add her own side to the stories. Mum, how DID you do it? Five, not particularly withdrawn, kids, several dogs, cats, strange parents/in-laws, at one stage a housekeeper who’s husband was a budgie judger and at another even briefer stage, a pregnant au pair (don’t even ask….).
Oh shit, I’ve digressed again…where was I?

It was the best vegetarian meal I’ve ever scoffed. Matthew and Ann are heading for restaurant ownership (if we can push them hard enough…). The starter was enough in itself - and as pretty as an attached picture too. The wine was also magnificent, smooth, rich and highly quaffable. I think it was called McManus and the only reason I can remember it is because of the old 1960's wrestler, Mick McManus. Two submissions and a knockout, after only one bottle, not bad eh? I apologise here and now if my headlock and shoulder charge were a little OTT.

Thank you all for a fine November 17th & 18th, 2006. If anyone has an interest in hearing No Sleep and Rory Motion in action, look out for a joint gig in Oswaldkirk (bright lights, big city), sometime next January. You heard it here first…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home